Facebook & Pinterest

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Green Zucchini vs Yellow Zucchini



WARNING - Always fry Zucchini alone!  If not fried alone grazers will eat it before it's all finished..

I love roadside Produce stands. You can always count on finding the freshest and most unique of fare.  This stop I made on my way to Lake Lure, NC.  The sign reads "Never fresher than the field"..  I passed by then decided to turn around and check it out, To my surprise, he had the best selection I had come across in ages! I will be picking up a bushel of Cucumbers for pickling next week when harvested.  Today I left with a Tomato, Peaches and Yellow Zucchini...Yes, Yellow Zucchini!  I personally had only heard of it and not yet seen it.  So today I decided to give it a try. Some say there is no difference and others say the yellow has a different flavor.   So I fried some up with my breadcrumb recipe and let the family have a taste then gathered opinions.  At first, when preparing it I noticed they didn't look much different than the green zuke once you cut it open. The texture, the feel, and the appearance look all the same except for the color. 



 I fried a pan of each separately. I used Olive oil and my favorite Cast Iron. We each had a helping of both varieties.


My son noticed a difference in taste right away. He generally prefers zucchini to typical yellow squash. The kids and husband asked for seconds so it was a hit either way  But, the verdict in my household seems to be that the yellow zucchini has a sweeter flavor than the Green. In my opinion, it's taste is comparable to the typical summer crookneck/longneck squash just possing as a Zucchini.  So as you graze your next produce stand don't pass up this unique squash. Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment